Saturday, October 30, 2010

For My Lover

For My Lover

There was a time, my love, in the not-so-distant past,
When I swore I would never leave, my love would last.
And yet, I am going, but not for lack of love do I leave,
But because of it, for you, do I go, and grieve.

I grieve for the days that never will be; I sorrow
For all of the nights, and the joyful tomorrows
That we might have had, you and I, forever,
If only, if only, if only…but knowing… never.

Oh, we shall remain friends, at least for a while,
We’ll write and we’ll phone and remember the smiles,
And one day, with surprise, we’ll surely recall
That we haven’t heard from each other at all.

How long has it been, we’ll think to ourselves,
And grasp for the memories we put on the shelves,
And reach for a jar, all dusty and brown,
With trembling fingers, we’ll take the jar down.

We’ll look inside, and lo and behold,
The love is still there, though tattered and old.
And one of two things will happen, my love,
One of two things will release like a dove.

Either the jar will return to its place deep inside,
With the love still there, though weakened by pride.
Or we’ll look at the love, and decide it’s worth saving,
Then pick up the phone, begin praying, praying, praying.

Phoenix Hocking
October 30, 2010

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]